I tried PBL at the end of the year and I failed. Here is why.
- I did not give the students enough time to process the information
- I did not coach the groups along the way, I trained each job and released them too soon
- I did not give the students a real world anchor to go back to.
- It was an extension not the main lesson so the students were not thoroughly engaged.
My goals for PBL next year...
- Start smaller and let the students experience failure and give them guidance for correcting mistakes but don't correct the mistakes for them.
- Give the students more time to explore and process information before assigning the project
- Let my students soar. Set high expectations and give them time to reach them.