Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mrs. Cissel my iPad is haunted

Don't you just love those moments when a child reacts to something you do in the classroom.
I know I do.

If you don't know already, one of the cool things about Google docs is the ability to collaborate on a document, meaning two people can work on a document at the same time.  This is great for lesson planning or helping someone proof read an important document.  It is also great for helping students edit their writing in real time.  Instant feedback.  All you have to do is share your document with the person you want to collaborate with, each of you will have a different color cursor and all you have to do is type normally.



Ok, so remember when I told you about what a teacher does on a snow day?  One of the things that I learned was how to distribute a writing task via Google docs using a script called Doctopus.  I created a template for the students to fill out about their snow days.  While they were working on them with their iPads I told them that I could "spy" on their work and help them out using my computer.  I warned them.  I promise.  So I "spied" on A's (I know I shouldn't use students names but I hate saying 'a student' constantly so I am going to use letter's instead if that is alright with you) document and noticed that he had misspelled a word and auto-correct was trying to tell him by that red underline squiggly thingy.  I fixed it for him and he jumped out of his seat and hopped back a step.  The look on his face was priceless.  He hollered "Mrs. Cissel, my iPad is haunted."  Of course I calmed his nerves and showed him exactly what I was doing.


  The class was attentive and writing vigorously because they wanted me to "haunt" their writing too.  I think it is one of the best writing lessons of the year.

An added benefit to using this tool for writing is paperless grading.  Doctopus works together with a tool called Goobric so that I can add a rubric to the writing.
Here is one of my student's responses
Here is what the rubric looks like.  You add your own rubric.



For more information about Doctopus and Goobrics watch these  tutorials.

Doctopus 4.0 Walkthrough

Goobric Walkthrough
Thank you +Jay Atwood for these fantastic tutorials.

-happy Tekking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...