Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tears and Snow Days

I am going to be honest.  I woke up Tuesday morning, learned we were going to have a snow day, and cried.  Yes I cried.  Why did I cry?  Because it was the straw that broke the camels back.  My students have missed out on so much instruction that its not even funny, five and a half days in the last three weeks to be exact. Today we added one more day to the count so that makes it six and a half days.

So what does an educator do when she finds out that more snow days are possible.  She tries to prepare herself and her students and set them up for success.  I made a snow day packet.  I will include the cover-letter for the packet.  You are free to use, steal, copy, edit or whatever you need to do. I will also provide the links where I got the resources but not the resources themselves. That would not be ethical.   I know the snow day packet will not make up for missed instruction, but for those who work on it, it will ensure they are practicing skills learned.



 Days like today are when I wish I taught a flipped class.  I could send my students video lessons that they could participate in and respond to at home and then when we got back to school catch-up wouldn't be so daunting.  I know because of the makeup of my classroom, there is no way that a flipped class could be equitable.  My students do not always have access to technology in their homes.  I find myself jealous of teachers who tweet all of the awesome stuff that they are doing with their flipped classroom.  I have to realize that I teach the students that I teach for a reason.  I believe that they were not put in my classroom randomly.  I must take what I have learned about technology and teach it to my students inside the classroom.  I must instill in them a desire to learn more and seek out "new learning and new life experiences".

All that to say this.  So we missed a lot of instruction.  The job now falls into my hands to ensure that my students, when they are with me, are receiving the best education I can give them.  If they leave my classroom with a thirst for more, I have done my job well.


Resources used to make Snow Day Packet

Reading passage- Readworks.org  (free site)
Fluency passage- Reading A-Z  (paid site)
Fraction sheets- Math-aids.com (free site)
Word Problems- Dad's Worksheets (free site)
CUBES strategy- image found here (free)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...