Friday, May 15, 2015

#edblogaday Day 15: Yikes I got behind!!! and a little Yoda

It's testing season and I allowed myself to get behind.  :(
Life goes on...

So I played this really great game with my students.  It is a very modifiable/adjustable/tweekable game that can be played with or without (*gasp*) technology.  It is so very simple.

I call it "Give and Take".

I gave the students 4 increasingly difficult multiplication or division problems.  Just the equation, not word problems.  The students had to work on the problems independently and quietly while music played and then the fun began...

Ok so you need to know my room set up for this to make sense.  I have my table in the middle (it has my computer and projector on it so I don't have much choice for position).  On either side of my room the students desks are set up like C's with the open part facing me.  So I have a right side and a left side.  When the students first started bringing me their work, it was only one or two at a time.  The paper that touched my hand first was checked first.  Then they started picking up speed so I started making a game of them handing the papers to me.  I would point to one side or another, keeping them on their toes.

Wait-I didn't explain the directions yet.  Ok so the rules are on the computer/smartboard.
1) You will work independently and silently on the four problems given to you.
2) You will show your strategies and all your work
3) You will turn in your work to me and wait for me to score you.
4) If you answer all questions correctly, you may (drum roll please) give or take a point from team 1 team two or team three. I will then give you another sheet of problems to complete.  You may complete as many as you can until the game is over.  (o.k.  right after spring break I put 1's 2's and 3's on their desks.  I use that to bring small groups down to the carpet as I rarely teach whole group after spring break).
5) The team who has the    LEAST    points wins. (I black the word "least" or "greatest" with a blue rectangle on the smart board so I can pull it away at the end)

There is the kicker... I don't tell them who wins.  They don't know until after the game is over if the team with the least points wins or the team with the most points wins.

The class goes wild when you reveal the winner.  It is a quiet and calm game during play but a wild and high energy game at the end.  I loved it.  The kids loved it.  It was great.

Modification:

  • I "snuck" calculators into the hands of my E.C. students so that they could still participate and practice calculator skills

I will close with Yoda.  Why?  Because he's Yoda and it is Friday and I can do what I want.  It's my blog.




I don't know why I've never used these quote on my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...