Monday, May 4, 2015

#edblogaday Day 3: My soapbox or TEACH CHILDREN

What's your biggest concern about teaching and what can we do about it?

My biggest concern about teaching is that we focus on the standards and not the kids.  I understand that there are certain things that All kids should learn in order to be successful in life.  I understand that those things can be learned in a logical progression.  I have been trained in these things and I know them well.

My students do not need me to FOCUS on teaching the standards, the students need me to FOCUS on teaching them.

I didn't teach "tying shoes" to my daughter.  I taught my daughter how to tie shoes.
I don't  teach "Multiplication" to my students.  I like to teach my students multiplication.
If the student comes first the learning will come.

So what do we do about it?

Think about your students first and then your objectives.

How do your students best learn?  What do they need to learn first?  How do they like to show their learning?  This takes time.

State lawmakers need to realize that we teach children, not computers.  We do not come in, put the standard in their head, and leave.

Ok I'm done (stepping down from the soapbox)


Student Wahoo of the day:

Check out S. math homework.  She did that all by his lonesome.  See what I mean about teaching the student first.  Look how the learning just took over.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...