Monday, March 14, 2016

What I did with Reflector 2 on my first day using it with students.



One of the things I love best about Pinnacle is being able to try out new toys... I mean tech tools.  On Thursday of last week, I got a new computer with Reflector 2 installed.  I played with it a little on Friday but I did my research over the weekend and did a lot with it today.

For those of you who are not familiar, Reflector 2 is a program that allows you to project your Apple, Chromebook, and Android devices onto a computer screen and therefore onto a Smart-Board or Promethean board for the whole class to see.

Here are a few of the things that I did with Reflector 2 today...



1)  Morning Meeting- This morning for morning meeting it was all about teaching the students how to project their ipads.  I let two people project their screens at a time and let them play for about 30 seconds each.  We had a student whose birthday was today, one of the other students quickly made a "chatterpix" birthday cake sing "Happy Birthday" to him.

2) Reading Response- I did my normal read aloud and then assigned the written response on Google Classroom.  I gave the students about 5 minutes to finish the response and then used the spinner on Wheel Decide to choose two students to put up their work using Reflector 2.  We read and discussed their responses.

3) Math- Today we reviewed geometry vocabulary using a Blendspace lesson that my teammate created.  The students explored the site, taking notes in their notebook.  At the end of the lesson, I used Wheel Decide again to choose a few students to answer questions using Reflector 2.  I prompted them by saying "Show me a line segment", I wanted them to project the answer to the question onto the Smart-Board.  Some of them showed directly from the presentation on Blendspace, some of them googled the term and showed me the examples they found on their own.  It was a different kind of formative assessment.  It was very informative and all of the students knew I was going to ask questions so all of them were ready with responses to present.

I can't wait to find more things I can do with Reflector 2.  The students were engaged all day because they knew at any moment they would be able to show off their hard work.  I would love to hear how you use Reflector 2.



Reflection:  Looking back as I was blogging about my day it is amazing to me how integral technology has become in my classroom.  I have been discouraged in the past, that my students were not very tech. savvy, but they have learned so much.  They have not only learned important tech skills but they have learned to create, share, produce, investigate, etc.  They have also learned the Mrs. Cissel uses technology to solve problems and troubleshoot.  They are also starting to do the same thing.  I am proud of what my class has accomplished!

2 comments:

  1. Great work! I can't wait to see what else you and your kids do with Reflector.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...